Friday, January 20, 2017

My "Use it Up, Make it Do" Quilt


In the years since my retirement, I have designed and fabricated many banners for my Lutheran church--I think there is a set for every major and minor holiday and festival:
  • Advent
  • Christmas Eve
  • Christmas Day
  • Epiphany
  • Baptism of our Lord
  • Liturgical Green
  • Transfiguration
  • Ash Wednesday
  • Lent
  • Palm Sunday
  • Maundy Thursday
  • Good Friday
  • Easter 
  • Ascension
  • Pentecost
  • Holy Trinity
  • Reformation
  • Last Judgment Sunday
  • Saints Triumphant Sunday
  • Christ the King Sunday
  • Thanksgiving
Whew! I list them not to brag but to emphasize just how many banners there have been and (as a result) how much beautiful fabric has found its way into my studio--batiks, tone-on-tones, and amazing, dazzling jewel tones that otherwise would not have been a part of my collection of scraps. 

Many of the banners that I designed were created to give the appearance of stained glass--hence the brilliant colors and batik swirls. On the other hand, the quilts that I typically create for my home and friends tend to be muted tones of green/blue/violet. 

Those banners really pushed me outside of my comfort zone, and presented me with an amazing stash of bits and pieces that I simply could not ignore.

So...I designed this quilt. It was fast and fun, and I will share the patterns with you here.


The "W" on the two diagrams below indicates which pieces will be cut from the "White" (background) fabric. All others will be your choice of colored/printed fabrics.






If you want to make this quilt larger than twin-size, you will need to arrange your blocks like this:

Double/full-size = 11 blocks x 13 blocks
Queen-size = 13 blocks x 15 blocks
King-size = 15 blocks x 15 blocks


Suggestions for other color combinations:
  • pink background and print prints for a little girl's quilt
  • black background and solid bright colors for an Amish-style quilt
  • find one stunning small-print fabric and use that as the background--use coordinating solid color fabrics for the other pieces


4 comments:

  1. More power to you, my friend. This looks way too complicated for my meager mind. :) I happen to love quilts, unlike spinach. :) I love to look at them, and marvel at the intricate details. They remind me a lot of a simpler time, a tradition I hope will continue with new generations.

    And you might want to re-think calling yourself retired...no way are you retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, thank you for your kind words. As quilts go, this is one of the easy ones. The one I am working on now is what I consider to be the Magnum Opus. If I complete it before a shuffle off this mortal coil, I will share it on this page.

      And, you are correct, I am not retired.

      Just simply tired. LOL

      Delete
  2. I have been blessed to be able to see all those beautiful banners, and some of your quilts up close and personal and they are all breathtaking! With sewing, and writing, and cooking, and gardening, and all the general jobs of keeping a household running, I swear you are the incarnate energizer bunny! My questions is , when you 'retired' or 'quit working your paying job,' did they have to hire two people to replace you? I cannot help but think you were equally as busy at your employer's, or you wouldn't have the stamina now for all that you do. Lu C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lu, your words are as sweet as you.

      When I worked for the Federal government a great deal of my time in the last few years was spent in beta testing administrative software, writing user manuals, developing teaching aids and conducting workshops. That task was nearing completion when I took my early retirement, so I'm sure that my successor was not quite as busy as I had been.

      I like being "creative", hence the name of this blog. When you enjoy what you are doing, it's not work.

      Delete