Thursday, December 1, 2016

The 12 Days of Christmas...Cookies

Call me crazy. 

Christmas is fast approaching. Although it comes at the same time every year, I'm feeling a bit unprepared--caught off-guard by how quickly spring, summer, and the year have gone by. There's shopping, decorating, and some sewing to do. But one thing that I always look forward to is the Christmas baking. My goal is 12 different cookies in 12 days. Can I do it?

One of my favorites is a soft, ginger cookie created by Nancy Bolton-Rawles of Eagle Point, Oregon. Her recipe was published by Sunset in their December 2006 edition. I think you will agree with me that it is worth making, over and over again. 

Frosted Ginger Cookies

  • 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
  • 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 cups flour, sifted
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp each salt, ground cloves, and freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with buter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and molasses.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices. Add to butter mixture and blend well.
  3. Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar. Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar. Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks.
  4. Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon water and stir until smooth, then stir in lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
Makes 40 cookies


By the way, if baking is not your thing 
and you enjoy cooking
please visit my page hubpages.com/@carbdiva 
(Carb Diva is my alter-ego and super hero persona)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how one would describe our approach to Christmas. We don't decorate. A tree is usually an afterthought. We don't give gifts. We have a family dinner on Christmas Day and that's it....so baking Christmas cookies? Not likely, but I'll pass this recipe on to a friend who really gets into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bill. I think the aroma of cookies baking is one of the most Heavenly things on earth. If it helps don't call them "Christmas Cookies." Have a great day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start my cookie baking this weekend. Since it's only me and my son, I limit myself to two different types.

    Your ginger cookies sound delicious. Love that flavor! How are you doing on 1 type per day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauna - I used to bake a ton of cookies between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That was when my girls were in school and there were always teachers and friends to share with. Now it's just the 3 of us, and we are all adults watching out waistlines, so there is not as much baking as in years ago.

    ReplyDelete