Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Day #4 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies--Under My Thumb


I love chocolate. 

I am an unabashed chocoholic. 

If given a choice between a savory, juicy Porterhouse steak or Lindt dark chocolate with a hint of chili pepper, I’d choose the Lindt. 

If either a sweet, succulent lobster tail with drawn butter, or a Ghirardelli 70 percent cacao, there’s no need for a bib. 

If it were George Clooney on a deserted island or a Fran‘s dark chocolate/sea salt caramel, well I’m afraid I’d have to break someone’s heart.

When a want something a bit more indulgent than a chocolate bar to satisfy my craving, I often bake cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are OK in a pinch, but I prefer something a bit more intense. Brownies are comforting (I prefer the chewy kind). And then there are chocolate crackle cookies. Sinfully dark and dense, moist on the inside and covered in a crisp coating of powdered sugar. 

Today I was wondering if there was some way to make them even more enchanting? What about turning a chocolate crackle cookie into a thumbprint cookie, and then filling the indentation with chocolate hazelnut spread?

Here’s what is happening in my kitchen today:

Chocolate Crackle Thumbprints with Chocolate/Hazelnut Filling

  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa 
  • ¼ tsp. Salt
  • Confectioners sugar for rolling cookies
  • About ½ cup Chocolate/hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)


  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for at least one hour or overnight.
  2. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form dough into 1-inch balls (this recipe makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies). Roll in confectioners sugar to cover. Place cookies 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. 
  3. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a ½-inch indentation in the 
  4. center of each ball. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Fill the indentations with about ½ tsp of chocolate/hazelnut spread.


By the way, if baking is not your thing 
and you enjoy cooking
please visit my page hubpages.com/@carbdiva 
(Carb Diva is my alter-ego and super hero persona)

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Linda, but did you say "chocolate chip is okay in a pinch?" That's almost sacrilege where I come from. LOL But you're willing to desert Clooney, so all is forgiven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, unless your chocolate chip cookies are more chip than cookie, there are times that chocolate chip just simply isn't enough. You and Bev should make THESE cookies. Then you'll know what I mean.

      Delete
  2. You must be a chocoholic, Linda! I would choose the savory options, including George Clooney over chocolate any day! :-)

    I like chocolate, but it's not my preferred flavor when I want something sweet. I'm one of very few women who doesn't go bonkers over chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shauna - I have to admit that opting for dark chocolate over George Clooney was a bit difficult, but since he's already spoken for (and so am I)...

      In all honesty I read (probably on the internet, so it must be true, right?) that there is a physiological reason that some people don't like the taste of chocolate. Perhaps you are one of those.

      Delete
    2. I like the taste, I just don't crave it. My favorite candy bar is Pay Day. No chocolate anywhere to be found!

      Delete
    3. Hi Shauna - Truth be told, Chocolate is my #2 love. #1 is cheese. Any cheese. All cheese.

      Delete