Sunday, December 4, 2016

Day #3 of The 12 Days of Christmas Cookies--Do These Horizontal Stripes Make Me Look Fat?

For several years I have made these brownies at Christmas for my family and friends. The recipe is from the Hershey kitchens website (http://www.hersheys.com/recipes). If you love moist fudgy brownies, if you love dark chocolate, if you love chocolate and mint, these are your brownies. 


Fudgy Mint Cheesecake Bars



  • 1 package (4 oz) Hershey's unsweetened chocolate baking bar, broken into pieces
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
  • green food color (optional)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. peppermint extract
  • Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
  2. Melt chocolate with 1/2 cup butter. Combine chocolate mixture with sugar, 3 eggs, vanilla, and flour in large bowl, beating until well blended. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 12 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cornstarch in medium bowl until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk, then remaining 1 egg, peppermint extract and food color, if desired.  Pour mixture over hot brownie layer. Bake 30 minutes or until set.
  4. Spread chocolate glaze over top. Cool. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator. Makes 24 to 36 bars.

Chocolate Glaze: Combine 1 cup Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips or Hershey's Semi-Sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup whipping cream in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Makes about 2/3 cup glaze.




By the way, if baking is not your thing 
and you enjoy cooking
please visit my page hubpages.com/@carbdiva 

(Carb Diva is my alter-ego and super hero persona)

4 comments:

  1. Sign me up! I'll take a case, please! :) Now you're talking my kind of food, Linda.

    Snow here this morning. Not much, but pretty nonetheless.

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I know you love chocolate and thought of you (really I did!) when I posted this. We don't have snow (yet) and if I really want to see that dreaded white stuff I can go visit it with a short drive up to The Mountain. (By the way, my sister reported 4 inches there yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try these, Linda. They look like a brownie version of Andes Candies. I love chocolate and peppermint together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shauna - Somehow mint just looks and smells and tastes like Christmas to me.

      Delete