Saturday, December 3, 2016

Day #2 of The 12 Days of Christmas Cookies--White Chocolate Raspberry Slices

Day No. 2 of cookie baking. I found this recipe in a 2002 advertisement by Challenge Butter. It has since appeared on several websites, most recently at Sunset. Several reader comments complained that the dough is dry and crumbly, but I have found that it just takes patience. This is a shortbread dough, and using your stand mixer at low speed I guarantee that the dough will come together--the resulting cookie is flavorful and beautiful.

White Chocolate Raspberry Slices
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla (I prefer almond extract)
  • about 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup raspberry jam
  • 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
  1. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and vanilla or almond extract until smooth. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour, then beat until dough comes together.
  2. Divide dough into thirds. On a floured surface, with the palms of your hands, roll each portion into a 9-inch long rope about 1-inch thick. Place ropes 3 inches apart on a buttered 12 x 15-inch baking sheet. Press your finger into the dough to make 1/2-inch wide indentations at 1-inch intervals along each rope. Spoon 1/4 tsp. jam into each indentation.
  3. Bake ropes in a 350 degree F. preheated oven until edges are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
  4. Place white chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag, pushing to one corner; secure bag just above chocolate with a twist-tie or knot. Immerse corner of bag in a cup of hot water until chocolate is melted. Dry bag, then, with scissors, cut off tip of the corner. Squeeze bag to drizzle white chocolate decoratively across ropes. Chill until chocolate is firm to touch, about 1 hour, then cut each rope diagonally into 12 slices.

By the way, if baking is not your thing 
and you enjoy cooking
please visit my page hubpages.com/@carbdiva 
(Carb Diva is my alter-ego and super hero persona)

4 comments:

  1. This made me wonder about very old recipes, remodeled, if you will, for today's world. What if you took a recipe from, oh, say, 1880, and tried it...and then added new touches? I'm just thinking out loud. Do you know where I'm going with this? Past meets present in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I understand exactly where you are going with this, and it's a great idea. Perhaps that is something I can try to craft some new posts around with the new year. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see a picture of this cookie. It sounds pretty. I love raspberry jam on cookies. When I make my thumbprints, I alternate between raspberry and apricot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shauna - I have not made these (yet) this year, but when I do I will certainly post a photo.

      Delete