Sunday, November 27, 2016

Instead of an Advent Calendar, Do This

I wish I could take full credit for this sweet idea, but I will confess that I found it on Pinterest.

Instead of the usual Advent countdown with a daily ornament or piece of candy, this Pinner set aside one book to read each day to her little ones.

This needn't be expensive--you can buy gently used children's books at thrift stores or garage sales. I think it would even be OK to round up a few of the books already in your home library that have not been read for a while. 

Wrap each book in some festive Christmas paper and affix a date on each one. (The packaging doesn't have to be fancy. The kids won't mind).

The holidays are such a busy, hurried time. I can't think of a better way to connect (or reconnect) with your babies than to spend a quiet half-hour with them. It will be good for them, and it will be good for you too.

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea. Not going to happen here, but a cute idea nonetheless. My little one is 32 yrs old and he won't sit still for this. :) Happy Sunday, Linda! Go Hawks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, you made me laugh out loud. My "baby" is also 32 years old (and 10 inches taller than me). There are no babies in my life, but I have several nieces and nephews who have grandbabies. I think they need to get busy with this, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, Linda. When my son was a baby, I read to him every day at 2:00. I even had him enrolled in two book clubs while I was pregnant, so he had a wonderful library before he was even born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shauna - I used to read to my girls every night, even when they were old enough to read on their own. When we moved into our big old farmhouse, they each got their own room, but the reading didn't stop. I sat in the hallway and read from there so that each of them could hear me. That's when we were doing the "chapter" books such as the Little House series, Anne of Green Gables, a Wrinkle in Time, etc.

      Those were the best times--sometimes I wish we could go back and do it again.

      Delete