Sunday, October 30, 2016

Jack O Peppers

Tomorrow we will be celebrating Halloween. In our circle of friends, we focus more on the Reformation than on ghosts and goblins, but it's still fun to carve pumpkins and dress up in silly costumes. (This year I'm showing up as a mom who doesn't get enough sleep.)
Today my older daughter said she wants to prepare a Halloween-themed meal for dinner. She tossed out a few ideas (make spaghetti and pretend that the pasta is worms and the sauce is blood), but that REALLY didn't sound like something I'd want on my table. However we like stuffed peppers, so I suggested that perhaps we could carve faces in orange bell peppers, and so the idea of "Jack-O-Peppers" was born.

Jack-O-Peppers

Cook Time

Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
Yields: 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup orzo
  • 1/2 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
  • 1 cup marinara sauce
  • 4 orange bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
  3. Cook the turkey sausage over medium heat in a large saute pan, breaking up as it cooks, until crumbled and no more pink remains--about 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in the cooked orzo and marinara sauce.
  5. If you want to go with the Halloween theme, carve "jack-o-lantern" faces in your orange peppers. Next gently cut and remove the tops and shake out the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the sausage/orzo mixture.
  6. Place the stuffed peppers in a baking dish. Pour water in the dish to about 1/2 inch up the sides of the peppers. Place the peppers in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour. Garnish the top of each pepper with Parmesan cheese.

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to imagine Bev and I taking twenty minutes to prepare a dish and another hour to cook it. I suppose it's all about priorities, isn't it? I'll say this, Linda: You inspire me to try and prepare better meals. Now I have to move on to the next step, the action! :) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Bill. The active time is only 20 minutes. That hour in the oven can be spent doing something else--writing, perhaps? And imagine how wonderful it will smell in your house. Happy Halloween to you as well.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! I'm here from Bill's blog and happy to get to meet you, Linda :) Hope it was a fun Halloween ~ I better go have some chocolate now to keep celebrating the day hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy. I'm so glad that you took the time to visit my blog. We had an uneventful Halloween--but that is the norm for us. We live on a private dirt road, down an unlit path leading into the woods. Now I ask you...would YOU venture down there?

      Delete