Sunday, September 25, 2016

Quilted Wall Hanging


Today I put the finishing touches on the wall hanging for my newly-remodeled kitchen. 

With just a bit of paint and new hardware I had changed my 1980's kitchen of golden oak cabinets to an updated palette--pale gray cabinets, oil-rubbed bronze door knobs and drawer pulls, and sage green walls.

Both the light-colored cabinets and green walls are rather neutral tones; I knew that I need a few pops of color. "Traditional" tones in a kitchen are the primary colors--yellow, red, and/or blue. But, you know me. I don't do traditional. My wall quilt reflects that attitude. The accent colors in my "new" kitchen are golden yellow and purple.

The patterns that I used to construct the quilt are shown below. I will tell you step-by-step the order in which I sewed the units that make up the quilt (but I am assuming that you understand the basics of quilt construction).

Diagram A is the pieces you will need to construct the four basket blocks that make up the center medallion of the wall hanging.




Diagram A


Diagram B is a diagram of how those pieces will be assembled to construct one basket block. Begin with strip number 1 (on the far right). The top piece is the 2-inch square; next add four half-square triangles, and then lastly another 2-inch square. Strip numbers 2, 3, and 4 are constructed entirely of half-square triangles. Half-square triangles are used to construct Unit 5. Units 6 and 7 are a 6-inch long strip with a half-square triangle at one end. And finally, Unit 8 is a large half-square triangle. 

When each of these Strips/Units are complete, sew them together in order. 2 is sewn to 1. 4 is joined to 3. 5 is sewn to the bottom of the 4/3 unit, and so on.
Diagram B

**********
Diagram C is a schematic of how to join together the 4 basket blocks to form the center medallion.

Diagram C


Next, you need to add the four 1 1/2-inch wide sashing strips. I did mine in a monochromatic sage green print. You will need to cut two strips 2 inches x 20 1/2 inches, and two  strips 2 inches x 23 1/2 inches.

The next step is adding the four background triangles. Each of these should be cut so that the straight grain of the fabric is the "short" side of the triangle, and the bias (diagonal) of the fabric is the long side of the triangle. 

Finally, it is time to add the fruit and flower appliques to each corner. These are adapted from a pattern that was published by American Patchwork and Quilting, April 2001, Issue 49.





















No comments:

Post a Comment